Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Doors Open Highlights 1: The Cage

Having worked all day on Saturday, September 18th, I only had Sunday the 19th to check out some of London's heritage in Doors Open. First stop was Meadowlily Woods, a delightful spot I hadn't been out to in a while. It's still delightful but I found myself wondering, and not for the first time, why anyone thought it necessary to put metal fencing down the centre of the bridge. I know, it's for safety; the City of London doesn't want anyone falling off the sides and suing them. But couldn't something more attractive than this band aid solution be found? No wonder local residents call it "the cage."

Update December 2012: A staff report presented to London's Civic Works Committee suggests a rehabilitation plan for Meadowlily Bridge costing about $1.9 million and likely to begin in spring 2013.

1 comment:

  1. Chain link fences are just plain UGLY. Loved by municipalities because they are cheap and effective at keeping you and I out. Seems like big gov is keeping us out of more and more. Remember, we own Canada not the bureaucrats!

    ReplyDelete