Ever wondered why cemeteries are built on hills? Because a great many of them are, you know, even in the great plain of southwestern Ontario. But why? I think there are both practical and spiritual reasons.
In the nineteenth century, public health officials realized that burying bodies close to town centres or in valleys caused fluids from decomposing bodies to seep into shallow water tables and wells. Hilltop burial sites prevented rain runoff from pushing contaminants towards residential areas.
But even rural areas had hilltop graveyards:
 |
| Kintore Methodist Cemetery |
Remember, high ground also protects graves from flooding and soil erosion. If a cemetery is built on a river's bank or floodplain, saturated soils and rising waters can displace coffins and push them right out of the earth.
 |
| Kintore Presbyterian Cemetery |
And in agrarian communities, settlers needed their most fertile, flat, and easily tillable land for crops and livestock. Steep hillsides were less suitable for farming, making them practical places for cemeteries.
 |
| St. Mary's Church and Cemetery, Napier |
But there's more to it than all that. Hills are also closer to heaven. So there's symbolism here:
 |
| North Nissouri United Church |
Hills are also scenic. In the nineteenth century, the
Rural Cemetery MovementRural Cemetery Movement led to intentionally designed, parklike cemeteries that provided a contemplative and emotional experience for mourners. I'm not sure how many of our rural pioneers were concerned with aesthetics, but such ideas often "trickle down" eventually.
 |
| Campbell Cemetery, 23711 Amiens Road. As my friend said, "You wouldn't envy the pallbearers." |
 |
| Arkona Cemetery. |
 |
| The path leading to McQueen Cemetery north of Port Dover. Not for those with a heart condition. |
This really hit home. I have card board knees and inclines of any kind are a sweat producing night mare. I was researching cenotaphs in Huron County when I heard of a cemetery (McTaggarts) with two WW1 graves near Exeter. I found the cemetery but it was on this stand alone hillock. When I finally reached the graves I was looking for I took photos and then had to descend to the lane into the cemetery. I eased my way over to a fence and used the top wire to negotiate my way down.
ReplyDeleteYikes! I'm glad you made it safely.
ReplyDelete